This house was constructed of locally quarried fieldstone for the family of Richard and Charlotte Sloan about 1790. The family who ran a weaving business owned the home until 1854 when it was sold to the Parker brothers. The house is located on Rt 50 west of Romney. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Romney, West Virginia
Literary Hall was constructed in 1869-70 as the home of a literary society that had been founded in 1819. By 1830 the group had assembled a classical library of over 3,000 volumes. Unfortunately, the strife of the Civil War destroyed all but 400 volumes of the original collection. This building was constructed after the war as the members struggled to rebuild their community. The Literary Society used this building until 1886 when it fell into disuse until taken over by the Masons. Now privately owned, it has been restored. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The application form is available here.
Hooks Tavern is a large "L" shaped house east of Capon Bridge. It seems to currently be used for storage purposes.
Ridgedale was built about 1850 by George William Washington who had become a resident of Hampshire County in 1834 or earlier. The house was built on part of 700 acres devised in 1817 to Sarah "Sally" A. Wight and her siblings by their grandfather, Maj. Robert Lockhart first of Lancaster County, PA and later of Frederick County, VA. Sarah married George W. Washington sometime around 1830. George and Sally lived a Ridgedale and raised at least nine children, one of whom, John, died in the Civil War. George died in 1876 and with his wife and several family members is buried in Indian Mound Cemetery in Romney. One son, Edward, who married Susan Ann Taylor and lived at Ferndale several miles down river in a house built in 1834 by Susan's father, William Taylor. Other children married into the the Pancake, Inskeep and Rees families. The ancestry of George William Washington is uncertain, but it is assumed that he is a distant cousin of President George Washington.For further informatin see: The Washingtons and Their Homes by John W. Wayland; McClure Printing Company, Staunton, 1944. Also see the NRHP Application Form.
The William Washington Home is the home of William and Annie Washington, among the first freed blacks to build a house and develop land for other freed blacks.
The North River Mills Methodist Church as beautiful stencil designs inside.
To see all sites on the National Register of Historic Places Click Here.