Old Heflebower Estate on the Cacapon River
Formerly the Lowery property now Farms of the River development
This property was originally granted to David Edwards on March 30, 1750; he was the son of Joseph Edwards who had a French and Indian War fort just to the south west. Later Col. Poston owned the land and maintained a ferry for a while a the bend of the river southwest of the main house. In 1823 Charles Carlyle (died 1849) lived on the property and several of his family are buried in the cemetery including William Carlyle (ca. 1730-1831) for whom there is no stone. He was quoted in Samuel Kercheval's history as being a resident of the area. David Heflebower purchased the property in 1842 (Hampshire County Deed Book 46, page 65); it is said that he built the original brick house in 1842, but this has not been verified.
The family genealogy states that David Heflebower was killed either by horse thieves or by Union soldiers when he refused to give up a horse on May 20th, 1863. He is buried in the family cemetery on the property. Others buried in the cemetery include Mary A., wife of David Heflebower; Samuel, son of David and Mary Heflebower; and former property owners William Carlyle, Charles Carlyle (died 1849) and his wife, Ann.
References: 1. Hoffelbauer Genealogy: 1585-1993 by Lewis Bunker Rohrback; Picton Press, Camden, Maine
2. Notes of Wilmer Kerns
3. Articles from the West Virginia Advocate newspaper
The mansion is WV SHPO inventory #/HM-0646
The cemetery is #HM-0647