A Walking Tour of Romney, W.Va.

DRAFT - This page is a cooperative effort with the Romney Historic Landmarks Commission - DRAFT


Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House

New Judicial Center (2008)

Literary Hall

Liberty Hall

Boxwood House: Test Page    HCHS Newsletter Article

Old Jail building


Links on Romney history and old images

The Founding of Romney

Romney, England - our namesake

Current Courthouse a Review article by Rob Wolford

Photographs - Romney scenes

1991 photo survey of Romney

Cemeteries - see four listings on main page

Antebellum Romney - article by Rob Wolford

Romney historic maps see listing on main web page

See also timeline below

Note: this is an abbreviated timeline; check web site index for county "Timeline" and page on "Tidbits of History."
  • 1729(?) first settlers enter the South Branch River Valley.
  • April 15, 1748 (approx.) Lot 18 on the South Branch is surveyed by James Genn; the Grant Book records "Laid off in a Town called Romney." [CRUP-Rice 2:165; 6:6-9]
  • by 1748 200 persons reside at Pearsall's Flats.
  • Thursday, Dec. 23, 1762 Gov. Fauquier signs Act establishing the Town of Romney.
  • Oct-Nov 1770 George Washington's last visit to Hampshire county; he and Dr. James Craik spend night in Romney.
  • 1786 State road from Winchester to Romney.
  • 1796 Post Office established at Romney.
  • January 30, 1819 The Polemic Society of Romney (later Literary Society of Romney) was organized in the office of Dr. John Temple. M&SHHC p.430
  • Dec. 12, 1824 first Presbyterian Church dedicated by Dr. William Henry Foote on lots 59 & 60 at corner of High Street and Gravel Lane.
  • by 1834 the Northwestern Pike reached Romney; by 1838 it reached Parkersburg on the western edge of the state.
  • 1837 New courthouse built in Romney; it survived until 1920.
  • December 12, 1846 The Virginia Legislature passed an act empowering the Literary Society to "establish at or near the town of Romney, a seminary of learning..."
  • April 1861 Committee of Safety meets in Romney and begins to prepare for the coming war.
  • 1869 original Methodist Church built on lot 56 in Romney.
  • Sept. 1, 1884 the B & O Railroad opens 16.29 miles of track from Green Spring (main line of the B & O Railroad) and Romney
  • 1898 Telephone lines completed from Cumberland to Romney and Romney to Capon Bridge.
  • July 26, 1920 During renovation the east wall of the Courthouse collapses burying a small child, Tom Duncan. The county will finally vote to construct a new Courthouse.
  • 1959 Hampshire Memorial Hospital opens to patients on Center Lane off Depot Street in Romney.
  • September 2008 The new Hampshire County Judicial Center is dedicated by Gov. Joe Manchin.
  • May, 2011 the new Hampshire Memorial Hospital at Mountain Top has an open house