Jurisdiction Over the
Confederate Monument Preservation Project


 

Site Under County Jurisdiction

One of the first steps in preserving the Confederate Memorial Historic Site is to determine who has ownership of the site. The Indian Mound Cemetery Association acknowledges that the City of Romney owns the four lots associated with the Confederate burial markers. However, the ownership of the Monument and its six lots is in question. The Memorial was put up by the Confederate Monument Association. No deed was ever filed for the lots and no surviving organization was named. The six plots are marked "sold" on the Cemetery map on file in the County Courthouse. We are working with the Hampshire County Historic Landmarks Commission to solve the question of ownership. As part of that process we needed to determine if the County Landmarks Commission or the Romney Landmarks Commission should be involved. It is apparent, based on a 1909 survey of the Municipal boundary, the County Landmarks Commission has authority, not the City Commission. Below are documents supporting that position.

Romney Municipal Boundary, 1909

Deed Book drawing of Town boundary see Cemetery in lower right just outside of the municipal boundary. (use back button to return here)

1909 Survey  as filed in Deed Book 86, page 225 
  Handwritten Survey files in City Office: 1909 survey-p.1    survey-p.2    survey-p.3

Romney Corporate boundary-Draft, date unknown, .jpg format    Romney Corporate boundary-Draft .png  Source unknown!

Aerial view of Civil War Soldiers Memorial site - the red line is the town boundary; to the north is in Romney; to the south is in the county

I.M.C. Sugar Maples It is believed the 1909 boundary line follows the fence away from the gate and turns northwest at the end of the fence.


 

References to the Municipal Boundary and
Annexations by the City of Romney

Map Book references:

  • Bk 1 map 40 water system showing city limits (legend is missing but may be c1928)
  • Bk 4 map 36 new shoe factory, industrial park
  • Bk 8 map 35 SouthHills (*Note: annexed part marked "to be annexed" while unannexed lot next to it is marked "Romney District")
  • Bk 3 map 8 is county road map showing Fire District (city limits not marked)
  • may be Map Bk 5 or map 5 DeBerry & Staub Addition, Oct. 20, 1933
  • may be Map Bk 7 or map 7 Indian Heights
  • Parsons Heights 8/9/1947

Deed Book references:

  • DB 69 page 130 Tabler Addition
  • DB 82 page 166 Valley View Addition (may be Map Bk 2 or map 2
  • DB 86 page 224 later plat of Loy Addition
  • DB 27 page 288 old plat
  • DB 10 page 237 Trustees named

Review articles

(ref: http://www.historichampshire.org/tidbits.htm):

April 26, 1961 The Addition of Savilla Vale has officially become a part of the town of Romney, having been incorporated in the town limits as a result of the favorable vote cast in the special election held on April 5. The voters in favor of the annexation of Savilla Vale, both residents of Romney and of the Addition, were over whelmingly in favor of the proposition.

September 27, 1911 George E. Harmison's Valley View Addition lot sale, west of Romney depot, last Saturday was a success. He sold 21 lots at public auction and several privately, at an average of about $125. The free lot went to J.H. Newhouse. Mr. Harmison set apart two lots on a bluff overlooking the river as a hospital site and offers to deed them to the town, to trustees or anyone undertaking the work of erecting a hospital. He invites the ministers and physicians to take hold of the matter and appoint a committee to confer with him. The site is a most beautiful one, the view magnificent and the location close to the depot and the town. [Review September 28, 2011] (apparently not at that time annexed into town)

This may not be a complete or inclusive listing!


 
 

If you have any documents or photographs concerning the Indian Mound Cemetery or the Confederate Monument which would be of help in our getting this important Hampshire County site on the National Register of Historic Places, please contact us send to or the Hampshire County Historic Landmarks Commission (304-822-7018)!