Finding aid for Romney subjects
DRAFT - this is an unordered list of several of the pages that concern the City of Romney - DRAFT
Romney's Historic District-?? - preserving W. Va.'s oldest town?
Romney historic maps see listing on main web page
Destroyed Places - Landmarks that have passed
Romney, the county seat (see also History above) - Old page
Current Courthouse a Review article by Rob Wolford
Photographs - Romney scenes
Cemeteries - see four listings on main page
Antebellum Romney - article by Rob Wolford
New Judicial Center (2008)
See also timeline below
Note: this is an abbreviated timeline; check web site index for county "Timeline" and page on "Tidbits of History."
- 1729(?) first settlers enter the South Branch River Valley.
- April 15, 1748 (approx.) Lot 18 on the South Branch is surveyed by James Genn; the Grant Book records "Laid off in a Town called Romney." [CRUP-Rice 2:165; 6:6-9]
- by 1748 200 persons reside at Pearsall's Flats.
- Thursday, Dec. 23, 1762 Gov. Fauquier signs Act establishing the Town of Romney.
- Oct-Nov 1770 George Washington's last visit to Hampshire county; he and Dr. James Craik spend night in Romney.
- 1786 State road from Winchester to Romney.
- 1796 Post Office established at Romney.
- January 30, 1819 The Polemic Society of Romney (later Literary Society of Romney) was organized in the office of Dr. John Temple. M&SHHC p.430
- Dec. 12, 1824 first Presbyterian Church dedicated by Dr. William Henry Foote on lots 59 & 60 at corner of High Street and Gravel Lane.
- by 1834 the Northwestern Pike reached Romney; by 1838 it reached Parkersburg on the western edge of the state.
- 1837 New courthouse built in Romney; it survived until 1920.
- December 12, 1846 The Virginia Legislature passed an act empowering the Literary Society to "establish at or near the town of Romney, a seminary of learning..."
- April 1861 Committee of Safety meets in Romney and begins to prepare for the coming war.
- 1869 original Methodist Church built on lot 56 in Romney.
- Sept. 1, 1884 the B & O Railroad opens 16.29 miles of track from Green Spring (main line of the B & O Railroad) and Romney
- 1898 Telephone lines completed from Cumberland to Romney and Romney to Capon Bridge.
- July 26, 1920 During renovation the east wall of the Courthouse collapses burying a small child, Tom Duncan. The county will finally vote to construct a new Courthouse.
- 1959 Hampshire Memorial Hospital opens to patients on Center Lane off Depot Street in Romney.
- September 2008 The new Hampshire County Judicial Center is dedicated by Gov. Joe Manchin.
- May, 2011 the new Hampshire Memorial Hospital has an open house