Important Dates and Places

from: Historic Romney: 1762-1937,
by the Town of Romney, 1932


 

December 23, 1762 Romney established [when Fairfax signed the petition of the Council] p.9

1970 first map of Romney p.10

1922 Courthouse built to replace one of 1833 p.10

1825 Wirgman Building probably built by William Vance p.11

1800 probably date of (Samuel D.) Brady Building (close beside the Wirgman Building) on part of what was the first cemetery in city p.12

September 26, 1867 erection of Confederate Monument in Indian Mound Cemetery p.13

about 1770 (Andrew) Woodrow - Mytinger House on path of old Indian trail on lot #48; "Until 1932 there stood at the corner of the lot the old log house in which George Washington spent the night of October 9, 1770, the last visit to Romney of which he makes mention." p.14

1812 Old Presbyterian Church completed with cemetery on corner of Gravel Lane and High Street (lot #59) [stones may have been moved to Indian Mound Cemetery when lot was cleared and what is not Fire House was built] p.15-17

Keller House and New Century Hotel: Keller house probably build around 1800 on lot #86; in 1848 purchased as an tavern by Thomas A. Keller; torn down in 1913. New Century hotel completed in 1914. p.17-19

1904 Methodist Church on lot #56 build; education wing added in 1928. p.19-20

1885 St. Stephen's Episcopal Church erected. p.20-21

1860 Presbyterian Church on corner of Marsham and Rosemary Lane; educational building added in 1937 p.21-23

1920 Baptists purchased the Methodist Episcopal Church on West Main Street, "one of the oldest buildings in town". [that building is no longer standing] p.23-24

"In 1755, the Rev. Daniel Morgan and the Rev. Shubal Stearns established a church near Capon Bridge." p.24

1909 Christian Church build on Rosemary Lane (the first Christian Church was organized in Hampshire County by G. W. Abell in 1853) p.24-25

1908 the Bank of Romney was build on corner of Main and Grafton Streets, lot #77 -South side- and remodeled in 1928; apparently at its organization in August, 1888 the Bank of Romney occupied the Wirgman Building p.25-27

1911 the First National Bank standing across from the Literary Hall on Main Street (lot #57) was built as the first three story building in downtown Romney. p.27

c.1752 school build near Pearsall's fort mentioned in George Washington's letters in reference to his trip to the Ohio in 1753. p.30

c.1765 Romney Academy build of stone behind the Courthouse. p.31

February 4, 1819 The Polemic Society of Romney established. p.32

1826 Dr. William Henry Foote (Rev.) succeeded Dr. Henry Johnston as head of Romney Academy; in 1850 Dr. Foote resigned and founded Potomac Seminary; Professor Meany was chosen to head the Classic Institute. p.31-43

1870 first session of School for the Blind p.43

before 1735 fist settlers (Corbin, Howard, Walker, Rutledge, and Forman) settled in Springfield area. p.45

c.1738 Job and John Pearsall come to Romney p.45

by 1748 about 200 lived in Pearsall's Flats area p.45

March 26, 1748 James Genn begins survey of Fairfax lands p.45

[June 3, 1740 first recorded grant of land of western Fairfax lands?? p.46]

1738 Frederick County formed from Orange County p.48

1754 Hampshire County formed from Frederick County p.48

April 18, 1756 massacre of Capt. John Mercer and his company p.52

1765 end of Indian incursions in Hampshire County p.52

June 11, 1755 first recorded meeting of Hampshire County Court p.52

September, 1777 Capt. William Forman and his company of Hampshire County men sent to Grave Creek Flats near Moundsville; on September 27, 1777 Forman, two of his sons and 17 of his men were killed in an ambush at McMechen Narrows. p.55

by 1786 a State road was opened from Winchester via Capon Bridge and Hanging Rock Gap to Romney p.58-59

1796 Post Office established in Romney p.58

by 1830 the Northwestern Pike reached Romney; by 1838 it reached Parkersburg. p.59

1832 Henry Clay visits Romney during his campaign for the Presidency. p.60

June 11, 1861 Union General Lew Wallace captures Romney for the first time. p.62

March 4, 1871 Hampshire County resident John Jeremiah Jacob took office as first Democratic Governor of West Virginia. p.67