National Register of Historic Places
Sites in Hampshire County
There are presently nine Hampshire County properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One of the our hopes is to get more of the county's historic properties on the national listing. In support of this project to increase the county's number of listed sites, HistoricHampshire.org is showing the listed properties here. We are also providing information on how to apply to get a property listed.
We regret that one of the properties that was listed, the Round Barn on the South Branch within view of the Trough, is gone. Age and the elements finally got the better of it. Please understand that listing on the National Register is no guarentee of preservation. Listing affords some opportunities to get tax breaks for certain uses or to get some protection from Federal encroachment. It also increases public exposure for those who might try to get private funding for preservation. In West Virginia there are few restrictions on property use or destruction.
Below you will find links to the currently listed properties. Hopefully, as we celebrate our two-hundred and fiftieth annivesary everyone will gain a greater appreciation of our historic sites and strive to preserve them. We encourage owners to take the steps to get their historic property listed for the benefit of the community and of future generations.
Sites on the National Register
The link for the property is to the West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office web site listing the official application in pdf format. Note: these applications are as they were forwarded to the Dept. of the Interior; there is no certification of acceptance shown on them.
North River Mills Historic District, Cold Stream Rd. (5/04/11)
- Stone House or Sloan-Parker Home, Rt. 50 east of Rt. 28S (6/5/75)
- Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House 51 W Gravel Lane, Romney (8/22/77)
- Literary Hall Main and High Streets, Romney (5/29/79)
- Kuykendall Polygonal Barn (7/9/85) now destroyed; needs to be delisted
- Scanlan Home near Three Churches; Three Churches Run Road (2/3/88)
- Sycamore Dale (Gibson-Wirgman-Williams House), River Road
- Capon Springs Resort, Capon Springs (11/12/93) Photo Album
- George W. Washington Home - Ridgedale or Washington Bottom Farm; WV 28 (11/29/01) offical application
- Capt. David Pugh House - Route 14 at Hooks Mill Rd. (8/25/04)
- Hampshire County Courthouse 66 N. High Street (9/7/05)
- Old District Parsonage, 351 N. High Street, Romney (5/5/06)
- Fort Van Meter, River Road (12/30/09) Photo-1 Photo-2
- Hook's Tavern, Rt. 50 east of Capon Bridge at Smokey Hollow Rd. (4/29/11)
- Hickory Grove, River Road (8/18/11)
- Capon Lake Whipple Truss Bridge (formerly South Branch Bridge), WV 259 N. of jct. Cty. Rd. 16 (12/15/11)
- Capon Chapel, Christian Church Rd. (12/12/12)
- Old Pine Church, Old Pine Church Rd. (12/12/12)
- Valley View, Depot Valley Rd. (12/12/12)
- Springfield Brick House, 12 Market Street, Springfield (1/2/2013)
- Fort Mill Ridge Civil War Trenches, Fort Mill Ridge Road (1/22/14)
- French's Mill, Augusta (12/16/14)
- Hebron Church, Yellow Springs vicinity (12/16/14)
- Nathaniel and Isaac Kuykendall House, Romney vicinity (12/16/14)
- Yellow Springs Mill, Yellow Springs (12/16/14)
- Pin Oak Fountain along Route 29 about 4 miles north of the junction with Route 127 (5/31/16)
- Brill Octagon House on Capon Springs Road (5/31/16)
note that the West Virginia Division of History and Culture is placing the
National Register applications online at:
|West Virginia Historic Property Inventory
Hampshire County Properties
As a special incentive to our homeowners to consider listing their propterty, we are providing a list of all properties for which an initial "West Virginia Historic Property Inventory Form" has been filed. Please note that some of these forms are quite old and may have to be refiled. The submission of this form is the first step in seeking listing on the National Register of Historic Places. However, it is also important simply as a public listing of the historic value of a property. For places already inventoried, click here.
The links below are provided for your assistance in undertaking the application process.