Collapse of the South Branch
Whipple Truss Bridge in 1936
The Hampshire Review of November 18, 1936 carried a story of the collapse of the bridge on the South Branch River just west of Romney. The bridge was built in 1874 and was a Whipple Truss type. The remaining Whipple Truss was eventually moved to the Cacapon River near Capon Springs; it stands today and is on the National Register of Historic Places. For photos of the truss today click here. We appreciate the Review's cooperation in allowing us to present them here.